Allenstown,' the name, is derived from an early settler's name, William Allen. After the Canoona gold rush in 1862, he moved to Rockhampton. While there, he bought two business premises, one in East Street, and the other in Bolsover Street. Later on he also bought another two pieces of land.
These were at the foot of the Athelstane Range. He later put up both blocks of land for sale at thirty pounds each. Soon cottages were being built. One Local postman who had owned one of the cottages stated, "To Allen's Town!" So this is how the suburb became known as Allenstown.
When more people started to live in Allenstown, there was a need for a school in the area. So on Tuesday 13th of July 1875, a public meeting was held for the purpose of establishing a primary school for the Allenstown area. Eventually it was agreed. On the 16th of July 1877, Allenstown State School was opened, with an enrolment of 150 students! The school building only had 1 room - so it started off very crowded!
1877 - Allenstown State School was opened on the 16th of July 1877. The first building along Margaret Street was 50 feet x 20 feet. It was built at a cost of £718.9.0. The first Principal was Mr. George Vowles.
1879 - New wing measuring 50 feet x 20 feet built along northern side of original building. (along Dawson Road)
1899 - Another new wing measuring 50 feet x 20 feet built.
1906 - School raised and central section moved.
1915 - Open air annex built.
1931 - Swimming Pool opened at a cost of £1 235, with £100 being a subsidy from the government.
1939 - New 3 storey building ("A" Block) built at a cost of £21 691. It was officially opened by Minister for Transport, Mr J. Larcombe.
1949 - Platform (dias) overlooking parade ground was built.
1965 - Modern wing facing Margaret Street was built.
1967 - Modern wing facing Caroline Street was built.
1972 - Pat O'Shanesy Memorial Library opened in the main building.
1974 - Double unit preschool opened.
1975 - New library opened on the site of the George Mclean Memorial Tennis Court.
1976 - Replacement bitumen tennis court completed.
1977 - School celebrates its Centenary. "Centenary" book published. Dental Clinic opened.
1982 - Covered adventure playground built. (Cost: $14 500.00) Opening of rockblock dressing sheds at the pool in honour of Mr Pat O'Shanesy.
1985 - Woolworths purchased 28 Caroline Street (Principal's residence)
1988 - Fire damage to "D" Block.
1990 - Renovation of the pool - fully government funded.
1991- Funds raised for pool renovation used to build new playground and resurface tennis court. Single staffroom established.
1997 - "Building Better School" initiative refurbishes Blocks A, B, C & D.
1998 - Platform overlooking parade ground is removed as it is deemed unsafe.
1999 - Covered Games Area built at a cost of $61 124.00 and Multipurpose Court built at a cost of $16 034.00 (both 50% P&C and 50% Government). Remodelling of Special Education Unit costing $14 113.00. Senior Student Club established.
2000 - Olympic Torch Relay passes the school on Gladstone Road and Upper Dawson Road. Students line Upper Dawson Road with flags, streamers and signs.
2001 - "Cooler Schools Initiative" air conditions library, computer room, 10 classrooms and 2 work areas costing $182 930.00 ($36 586 provided by P&C). Main building repainted to existing yellow, blue and orange colours.
2002 – Celebrating 125 years at Allenstown State School - 1877 to 2002
2003 - New "Bendigo" building ("H" Block) used for the first time.
2005 - I Block arrived at the school on the back of semi-trailers in 7 parts.
2006 - I Block used for the first time for Preparatory Year.
2007 - New Administration Block officially opened by Paul Hoolihan, MP.
2007 – Australian Government “Investing in Our Schools” project provides $150000 towards classroom furniture and computing technologies.
2010 – State Schools of Tomorrow $1M refurbishment to classrooms in A, B, C, D and K Block including carpet, painting, cabinetry, data and power and interactive whiteboards.
2010 – National School Pride project completes Stage 1 on internal landscaping of school with retaining wall and path to the oval.
2011 – Building the Education Revolution funds a new hall and refurbishment and extensions to the library.
2018 – Refurbishment of A Block.